Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The ABC's of Listening Through His Word


I hope you have the privilege of a spiritual mentor/mother like I do. If you don't, pray and ask God for one. Then open your eyes and look for her. She may be right in front of you. She'll tell you things like, "Get a new Bible every few years. Then God can speak to you in fresh new ways, instead of through those same old underlined verses and notes." My spiritual mom is my 83-years-young Sunday School teacher. While studying Psalm 119 last Sunday, which is an acrostic of the Hebrew alphabet, she challenged our class to find a Bible verse for every letter of our alphabet. God spoke to me volumes through this exercise and encouraged me in ways only he can. Here are my results:


After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. Revelation 7:9 (NIV)
Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. John 14:11 (KJV)
Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. Jeremiah 33:3 (NIV)
Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison and test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life. Revelation 2:10 (NIV)
Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the LORD thy God which he hath given thee. Deuteronomy 16:17 (KJV)
For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." Romans 8:15 (NIV)
God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints, and to be had in reverence of all them that are about him. Psalm 89:7 (KJV)
He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. Revelation 21:4 (NIV)
I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5 (NIV)
Jesus answered and said unto them, "This is the work of God, they ye believe on him whom he hath sent. John 6:29 (KJV)
Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Psalm 100:3 (KJV)
Lord, thou has been our dwelling place in all generations. Psalm 90:1 (KJV)
Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling. 2 Corinthians 5:2 (NIV)
Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life. Revelation 21:27 (NIV)
On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS. Revelation 19:16 (NIV)
Praise the LORD. Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. Psalm 106:1 (NIV)
Quicken me after thy lovingkindness; so shall I keep the testimony of thy mouth. Psalm 119:88 (KJV)
Rejoice in the LORD, you who are righteous; and praise his holy name. Psalm 97:12 (NIV)
Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth. Psalm 100:1 (NIV)
The LORD is my light and my salvation-whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1 (NIV)
Unto thee, O LORD, do I lift up my soul. Psalm 25:1 (KJV)
The Voice of the LORD is powerful, the voice of the LORD is majestic. Psalm 29:4 (NIV)
We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7 (NIV)
EXalt the LORD our God and worship at his footstool; he is holy. Psalm 99:5 (NIV)
Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. Habakkuk 3:18 (NIV)
Zion will be redeemed with justice, her penitent ones with righteousness. Isaiah 1:27 (NIV)


photo courtesy of flickr.com

1 comment:

Jean said...

Wow! A whole alphabet of blessings! And congratulations on your stories appearing in the "Prayers" books. I read about your blessing on The Writer's Den.

Grace & Peace,
Jean Hall
http://www.jeanmatthewhall.blogspot.com