Thursday, June 18, 2009

Summertime--When the Living is Easy?




One of my favorite places to go is where I sit and bake in the sun. I don’t have to think about a thing, if I don’t want to, except for sinking my toes into the warm sand, smelling the salty air, feeling a fresh breeze dry the seawater on my skin, hearing the waves crash and seagulls squawk, and watching people of all different sizes and shapes. Relaxing on the beach epitomizes living easy to me, but my ocean-side vacation is not planned until September. For now, my easy living means non-stop action.



I’ve been living out of a bag for two weeks, visiting 3 states, not counting the ones I flew over. First, I was off to Chicago to the Write-to-Publish (WTP) Conference and then a weekend trip to Alabama to visit family, cruising through Tennessee on the way home. In between the two trips I had two proposals for my Listening Heart Bible study and articles to send off to interested publishers. I know schedules get out of whack over the summer, but whether you are having lazy days or not, won’t you follow me, and stay in the word, listening all summer? I have so needed his guidance and strength to stay on track.



Now that I’m back home and in the real world, there’s cooking and caring for my crew and doing things like sending my teenager off to camp and preparing for my first women’s retreat. I don’t want to forget all of the great stuff that I came away with at the WTP Conference. I was filled to capacity with valuable information while connecting with editors, and making great new friends and writing partners. To help me retain all that I absorbed during that week in Chicago and enjoy my full summer so far, I plan to follow Paul's advice who said:

Rejoice in the Lord always.

I will say it again: Rejoice!

Let your gentleness be evident to all.

The Lord is near. (Hallelujah!)

Do not be anxious about anything.

but in everything by prayer and petition,

with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

And the peace of God which transcends all understanding,

will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7



So come, let’s pray together, to make living easier. God's loving presence is like a tall glass of lemonade on a hot summer day--refreshment for the body, soul, and spirit.
photo "My Favorite Beaches" by Omnia, courtesy of Flickr.com

No comments: