Saturday, April 11, 2009

Thoughts on Easter


When I encounter writings on religion apart from true Christianity I notice a repeated theme--an idea that the resurrection is not needed to save us or attempts to disprove the fact that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, died on Friday, was buried, and rose to life on Easter Sunday. Paul gives us some deep thoughts on Easter in 1 Corinthians 15:

Now, let me ask you something profound yet troubling. If you became believers because you trusted the proclamation that Christ is alive, risen from the dead, how can you let people say that there is no such thing as a resurrection? If there's no resurrection, there's no living Christ. And face it—if there's no resurrection for Christ, everything we've told you is smoke and mirrors, and everything you've staked your life on is smoke and mirrors. Not only that, but we would be guilty of telling a string of barefaced lies about God, all these affidavits we passed on to you verifying that God raised up Christ—sheer fabrications, if there's no resurrection.

If corpses can't be raised, then Christ wasn't, because he was indeed dead. And if Christ weren't raised, then all you're doing is wandering about in the dark, as lost as ever. It's even worse for those who died hoping in Christ and resurrection, because they're already in their graves. If all we get out of Christ is a little inspiration for a few short years, we're a pretty sorry lot. But the truth is that Christ has been raised up, the first in a long legacy of those who are going to leave the cemeteries. (1 Corinthians 15:12-19-The Message)

Since I have become a believer, I'm not nor have I ever been a "sorry lot." Only when I surrendered to Jesus did I begin to discover genuine fulfillment in every way--physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. No one can take that away from me-no intellectual who claims to know more than I do about life or even a person who does not believe the truth, not even my own father.

I pray all of you will cherish the old rugged cross with me and HAVE A VERY HAPPY EASTER!


THE OLD RUGGED CROSS

George Bennard

1873-1960


On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suff’ring and shame;
And I love that old cross where the dearest and best
for a world of lost sinners was slain.

Refrain
So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it someday for a crown.

Oh, that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above,
To bear it to dark Calvary.

Refrain

In the old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
Such a wonderful beauty I see;
For ‘twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
To pardon and sanctify me.

Refrain
To the old rugged cross I will ever be true,
Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
Then He’ll call me some day to my home far away,
Where His glory forever I’ll share.

Refrain




1 comment:

Theresa Anderson said...

Susan,
A long legacy of those who are leaving the cemetery...I love it!
Glory to our risen Savior! Enjoy your Easter.