Monday, March 17, 2008

Hearts Who Listen

When I think about the phrase “give ear,” it sparks a memory from my grade school years. Endless motion and school work filled our days, but when it was time for lessons, the teacher demanded undivided attention. My teacher said, “Sit down, eyes on me, it’s time to put on our listening ears.” As we settled down and faced her, we clicked each listening ear securely into place. Only then did she begin to teach.


Adult life often mirrors those of elementary children’s. Modern living brims with non-stop activity. No longer in school, however, we do grown-up things and time spent with our Master Teacher slips away.


Could my childhood memory embody a solution to gaining some time alone with Jesus? After all, Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 18:3NIV). The difference between grade school and now is that our Master Teacher doesn’t demand attention. He simply repeats an invitation to all: “Come to me.”


In our spiritual life, hearts do the listening. If we desire to hear, we are obliged to give Jesus full access to our heart. When we do, miracles occur and true love blossoms. While giving ear, Jesus’ love stimulates a hunger to know him in deeper ways. One way to hear his voice involves a treasure hunt, digging into the richness found in God’s word. It’s not surprising that when God asks us to “hear” it means much more than we think. It means to hear intelligently with diligent obedience and attention.


Even though I gave my ear (my listening heart) to Jesus long ago, I’ve experienced hearing impairment because I failed to come to him on a regular basis. I finally learned how to sharpen my hearing ability—spend time alone with God and his Holy Bible every day. During heartfelt listening, distractions lose their draw and God supernaturally invigorates me.


Whenever we listen to Jesus’ voice, his words speak directly to our hearts—words we are able to obey, not because we have to, but because we want to.


An adventurous life awaits hearts who listen. How about beginning a journey today?

1 comment:

Dawg said...

Happy Substitutionary Atonement day Susan!!

Looking forward to Resurrection Day here in North Georgia on Sunday.

God bless you !